Wednesday, February 17, 2016

HERE COMES...BARRY SMITH'S THE OUTCAST !!!


Here's something a bit different for me, western comic books. Haven't read one in years, although I have in the past. I followed Marvel Comics Rawhide Kid, Two Gun Kid, Ghost Rider and many others back in the day. Jack Kirby, Dick Ayers and John Severin were some of the artists I enjoyed following.


But I'll bet you might not know Barry Windsor-Smith did a western comic in his formative years in comics. It's obscure, I didn't remember it until recently, although it's not because I have the comic book (I wish I did!) Those Marvel westerns were a favorite of mine growing up. 







Western Gunfighters #4
"There He Is! Here Comes the Outcast!"
Outcast tries to track down clues about his past but Roland Taggart gets in the way.
Written by Steve Parkhouse with art by Barry Windsor-Smith (as Barry Smith) & Sam Grainger. 
Figures on bottom tier of cover taken from the interior stories: The Outcast (Barry Smith) Western Kid (John Romita) Black Mask (Syd Shores) & the Renegades (Tom Sutton.)
Special note at the end states "This strip was conceived by Roy Thomas and executed by Smith and Parkhouse nearly two years ago!"

Barry Smith worked on three issues in the Nick Fury, Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. series (#10-one full & two partial pages, #11-cover & complete #12.)
Steve Parkhouse and Barry Smith also worked together on Nick Fury #12. Smith did some inking on that issue, along with Sid Greene. 

There you go. I trust you've enjoyed a different side to a master illustrator. I know I have.

Original Barry Windsor-Smith art for page 1 of the Outcast story!
Live Large My Friends!

Thank You!
The western Ghost Rider later became Night Rider, when Marvel began the motorcycle hero series. Night Rider #1 reprints the Dick Ayers original origin from Ghost Rider #1 (along with a killer Gil Kane cover!)

The iconic Jim Steranko's stunning cover for Western Gunfights #14!
Steranko's fantastic original artwork for the Western Gunfighters #14 cover!



No comments:

Post a Comment