Thursday, June 26, 2014

PROLIFIC AL MCWILLIAMS REACHED INTO THE SILVER AGE OF COMIC BOOKS !!!



For me, Al (Alden) McWilliams was a terrific comic book artist working primarily in TV tie-in comics from Gold Key Comics in the Silver Age of comic books. 







In fact, amazingly enough, Al was toward the end of his illustrious career when he worked for Gold Key Comics on Star Trek, Girl from U.N.C.L.E., Wild Wild West & I Spy (cannot wait for the Hermes Press I Spy collection.) I loved those TV & movie tie-in comic books from Gold Key, Charlton & Dell Comics, those painted & photo covers reached out to me.












McWilliams worked for Warren (Blazing Combat, Eerie, Creepy), Gold Key (Questar, Doctor Solar), Tower, DC (Justice Inc.), Marvel, Atlas, Dell & Red Circle (Black Hood, Red Circle Sorcery) Comics during the Golden & Silver Age.










I was a child of the Silver Age, so I remember Al mainly for the Gold Key Comics, most notably, Star Trek #38-#61, Girl from U.N.C.L.E. #1, Questar TP, I Spy #1-#5, Wild Wild West #1 & #2 and Doctor Solar #20-#28.




Later I enjoyed his work on Red Circle Sorcery #10, Black Hood #1 (Stunning Alex Toth cover), Justice, Inc. #1. Blazing Combat #2, Eerie & Creepy came later, with the hardback publications. 









I trust you also have some fond memories of Al McWilliams. Let me know, I'd love to know more about him.












Live Large. 

Thank you. 


No comments:

Post a Comment