Thursday, April 14, 2016

I SPY IS MISSING A VITAL CLUE - KELLY !!!


Unfortunately, here we come to the last issue of the Gold Key comic book series, I Spy. The prolific Paul S. Newman wrote all six issues, but Mike Roy came in as artist for the last issue, taking over from Al McWilliams. For me, this was some of Roy's finest work. Although I would have preferred Al McWilliams since he did such a fine job on the tie-in comic books he illustrated. 



The first American TV drama to feature a black actor (Bill Cosby) in one of the leading roles, I Spy ran from 1965 through 1968. It was adapted by Gold Key Comics, lasting 6 issues. Set in the East, the team of agents (Cosby & Robert Culp) use the identities of a tennis player, Kelly Robinson and his trainer, Alexander Scott, as their cover. Cosby won three consecutive Emmy awards for outstanding lead actor in a drama series for each of the three seasons of I Spy. In the comic book he is in no less of a prominent role.









I Spy #6
"Live Bait Part I: Double Capture"
Scotty needs help in solving a lethal Chinese puzzle, but a vital clue is missing--Kelly!
"Live Bait Part II: Failure of a Mission"
Scotty & Kelly are reunited to work the mission, under a watchful eye.
Written by Paul S. (Yellow Submarine, Turok) Newman with art by Mike (M.A.R.S. Patrol Total War, Man from U.N.C.L.E.) Roy.








My all-time favorite King Kong comic book. Great stuff! Illustrated by legendary, in my book, Alberto Giolitti.
Back cover for I Spy #6.
Needless to say, I enjoyed the comic book series, most of the Gold Key TV & movie adaptations. Popular Library came out with a series of seven original paperback novels (written by famed Telefon author Walter Wager as John Tiger)  to keep the excitement alive for the TV series. Whitman Books came out with one original novel (written by Whitman's Man from U.N.C.L.E. author Brandon Keith) as well. All in all, there were lots of new adventures for Kelly and Scott between the comics books, paperback books and one hardcover novel.  
Although it varied from the show, the paperbacks were a great read.
Great adventure, although more geared toward the young adult reader.
Live Large My Friends!

Thank You! 
Great DVD collection of the TV series. Bought them budget priced, great video! Recommended!
Unfortunately the hardcover collection from Hermes Press never came about. Shame, promised some great extras. I still, still, still wish this book had been published.


No comments:

Post a Comment